Friday, January 4, 2013

What was your first...

At this time of year many people are reflecting on the year or contemplating the year to come.
I chose to think back on my projects of the past, way back to 1991-92.
 I thought it would be neat to have a look back at my very first quilting project. 
I took a class at a local community centre.  I was pregnant at the time and had a very old, 'new to me', sewing machine to use.  It was so heavy I had to get my husband to carry it in for me. 
 I made this quilt for my son to be.  The instructor had us using templates. (hate those things).  We did a bit of strip piecing but mostly pieces.   
Looking at it now there is so much wrong with this quilt.  Seams are starting to come apart, there is hardly any quilting on it, plaid isn't matched well in border (still don't like using stripes or plaids in a quilt), and there is no label.

What's good about this quilt: I made it with love, I still like the colours, I hand quilted, timeless pattern, I learned a lot. 


oh that plaid!
Teddy Bear outline quilting











Let's share our first projects.  I am sure, like me, you have come a long way with your quilting skills.
Link up below and show us your first.   

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.....as much as you say there's a lot wrong with this quilt, as the saying goes 'galloping horses won't see it'. I don't see any of those 'mistakes', just a lovely quilt as you say made with love. I just took a look, and don't have a saved picture of my first quilt, will have to get one and try to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I am a new friend from Find a Friend Friday. I popped over to take a look at your blog. Cute post. I still have my first quilt....It is not very pretty at all but I keep it as a reminder of how much I have learned since I started quilting back around 1999.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask yourself two questions before you decide...

    Am I going to sew with her if I get her fixed?

    Can I part with her even if she is not in working order?

    I'm such a sentimental fool, that even knowing I wasn't going to sew with her, I would have to keep her. Too many memories there for me to let go of, LOL.

    Tough decision, truly. Good luck, Hugs...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to view my blog. Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think of my projects.